Stand up paddleboard, also known as SUP, offers a complete body workout. It is a fun and relaxing activity for people of all ages. You can paddle this board across the ocean or peacefully on the lake or river. There are two specific types of stand up paddleboard – the inflatable and the ones which are not inflatable. Each type has its advantages, however, it greatly depends on how you will use it.
Boards differ in length, the most commonly used is 10 feet. Generally, the longer boards provide you with more stability especially when surfing. On the other hand, if you are planning to use it on flat water such as lakes or rivers then you should choose a shorter board. Longer boards are capable of supporting more weight which is ideal for heavier people. Shorter boards are great for beginners.
- Paddle Board Reviews
- 1. Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable
- 2. Solstice Bali Stand-Up Paddleboard
- 3. Keeper Sports Stand Up Paddle Board Set
- 4. Isle Airtech Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- 5. BIC Sport Dura-Tec Stand Up Paddleboard
- 6. Isle Versa Standup Paddle Board
- 7. Blue Wave Sports Stingray Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard
- 8. Vilano Navigator Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- 9. Serene Life Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- 10. Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable SUP
- Beginners Guide for Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- How to use a Stand Up Paddleboard
- Getting started with SUPping
Paddle Board Reviews
Below the best paddleboards currently on the market right now, that we have tested and reviewed based on performance, durability, weight, design, and popularity so that you can make an informed choice on which paddleboard to buy.
1. Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable
Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable 9’10” SUP Package includes a SUP board, pump, and 3-piece paddle. This is an excellent bet if you are looking for a remarkably durable paddleboard. Its maximum weight capacity is 350 lbs and it is built with a stern military-grade PVC material. In spite of its size, this SUP can be folded pleasantly. Literally, it can shrink down to about one foot once it is rolled up. By the time it is inflated, you can’t tell the disparity between a traditional solid board and this board.
Dimension: 9′ 10″
Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
- It’s very easy to bring.
- It is fabricated from military-grade PVC material.
- Putting it up can only take minutes.
- It comes with a pump and a 3-piece paddle.
- The air valve is located awkwardly.
- The paddle is implausible.
- The nose tends to rotate on forceful paddles.
2. Solstice Bali Stand-Up Paddleboard
The Solstice Bali Stand-Up Paddleboard is a high-pressure inflatable paddleboard that is weightless, sleek and swift in the water. It’s also rigorous and robust making it an excellent choice for any rider of any size. This board consists of numerous stainless tie-downs for extra security in carrying it from one place to another. You get a lot for your money since it constitutes a comfortable carry bag, pump, and gauge.
Dimension: 10′ 8″
- Tie-downs are included for added support when transporting.
- It has a sturdy construction.
- Includes pump and gauge.
- This board is not excellent for bigger waves.
- Most often the pressure gauge is not factual.
- Occasionally it has an unsatisfactory tracking.
3. Keeper Sports Stand Up Paddle Board Set
One of the best aspects of Keeper Sports Stand Up Paddle Board Set is its tailor-made molded shape. It is finely constructed using a multi-layered lamination along with waterproof resin to bring you topmost performance and lastingness. Additionally, it is furnished with a high-density waterproof core that gives you a tight grip even in rougher waters. With its convenient tri-fin system, it can keep the board in straight track especially during tougher strokes. It features a super-slick bottom which can let you glide easily over the water.
Dimension: 10′ 6″
Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- The exterior and core are both water-resistant.
- This board uses a tri-fin system for excellent performance.
- Glide effortlessly using its super-slick bottom.
- It has a shaky roof rack.
- The deck tends to be slippery at times.
- This is not an optimal choice for performance-oriented rides.
4. Isle Airtech Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
If you’re looking for an SUP that is easy to transport then Isle Airtech Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board is a terrific bet. It comes with a pump and 3 Piece adjustable paddle. You can easily store it after rolling it up. It is exceptional for neophytes and unrivaled in flat water, lakes, rivers, and modest waves. The maximum weight capacity of this board is 240 pounds. It is a very sturdy board and can hardly get damaged due to its military-grade material. Hauling the board is super easy with its demountable travel fin.
Dimension: 10′ 6″
Weight Capacity: 240 lbs.
- This board has a weight limit of 240 lbs.
- It is a supreme choice for beginners.
- Transporting is a breeze with its detachable travel fin.
- Includes a pump and 3 Piece adjustable paddle.
- The pump has a low-grade quality.
- It does not consistently track straight.
- Rolling it up can be difficult since the valve is located in front.
5. BIC Sport Dura-Tec Stand Up Paddleboard
The BIC Sport Dura-Tec Stand Up Paddleboard is rugged and impervious without sacrificing its efficiency. It is harnessed with a resilient polyethylene outer layer which is comparable to a kayak. This board is capable of holding up to 220 lbs since it is constructed from a high-density foam core that will never bend in the center. It is incorporated into a deck pad to guarantee you with exceptional comfort and traction. The recessed handle is excellent for transporting the board effortlessly. This is the best deal for those who are looking for a versatile board.
Dimension: 8′ 4″
Weight Capacity: 220 lbs.
- Constructed of rugged material.
- Works best for a variety of paddlers.
- Uses a high-density foam core.
- It is hefty.
- This board is difficult to clean.
- It’s pretty short for bigger riders.
6. Isle Versa Standup Paddle Board
The Isle Versa Standup Paddle Board and carbon fixed SUP paddle can be used for a variety of purposes. It works best for yoga, fishing, and other water-based activities. Its weight capacity is 275 lbs. It comes with a traction pad and a center fin. This board is constructed of light and durable materials, making it simple to haul. It is fitting for kids, neophytes and even expert paddleboard riders.
Dimension: 10′ 5″
Weight Capacity: 275 lbs.
- It is extremely portable.
- Constructed of lightweight material.
- It comes with a traction pad and center fin.
- It is expensive.
- It does not work well with more advanced paddlers.
- Not ideal for people who like softer materials.
7. Blue Wave Sports Stingray Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard
The Blue Wave Sports Stingray Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard includes a paddle and a pump. The paddle is very versatile since it can be also be used for a canoe or a kayak. This board can support riders weighing 220 lbs. It measures 10 feet long and has a double layer of outer skin for intensified durability. It is constructed with a high-pressure core that is durable and rigid. It has a comfortable handle that is easy to grab, making it simpler to transport.
Dimension: 10′ 4″
Weight Capacity: 220 lbs.
- Built with double-layer outer skin for enriched durability.
- It has a quick-grab handle for transporting easily.
- It comes with a paddle and a pump.
- Instructions are not thorough.
- Needs improvement on the paddle quality.
- The storage bag is inadequate.
If you desire a hardboard then Vilano Navigator Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board is the best deal. It is fabricated rigorously with a high-grade PVC material without compromising complacency. After deflation, this board will shrink to one foot in diameter for extreme portability and easy transporting. The deck incorporates a cozy diamond groove traction for additional grip. It has a bungee on the front for easy storage.
Dimension: 10′ 6″
Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.
- Made from top-of-the-line PVC material.
- It will shrink down to one foot in diameter after deflation.
- Includes a bungee cord on the deck for easy storage.
- The board is a bit slender.
- The paddle has a low-cost quality.
- Tail fin appears to be gauzy.
9. Serene Life Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
The Ten Toes iSUP Inflatable Standup Paddleboard is an excellent choice if you are looking for the most durable and stable board that fits all skill levels. It can support riders who weigh 300 lbs. It has a lot of standout features including its military-grade PVC material construction. You can roll it up firmly and securely for easy transport and storage. The package consists of a lightweight aluminum paddle, a manual pump, a coiled ankle cuff safety leash, and a waterproof storage bag.
Dimension: 10′ 6″
Weight Capacity: 300 lbs.
- A superior board for every skill level.
- Created from high-quality military-grade PVC material.
- It includes a lightweight aluminum paddle, a manual pump, a coiled ankle cuff safety leash, and a waterproof storage bag.
- It is a bit pricey.
- This aluminum paddle is slightly heavy and unbalanced.
- Subjectively, there are cooler looking boards.
10. Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable SUP
Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable SUP is a popular choice for the water sports lovers. It is safe and comfortable to ride. Beginners can learn to paddle in no time. This is an all-in-one package that consists of all the things that you need. Aside from the paddleboard, the package also includes a pump and 3 piece paddle. It comes with a backpack which is very useful for storing the board, pump, paddles and other extra accessories. The backpack also includes a strap so that you can easily carry it. The detachable fin can help you in staying on track while paddling. It is very helpful if you are still a neophyte or if you are paddling in rough waters. The fin is sturdy and reliable, however, in case it breaks or gets lost then you can easily replace it.
Dimension: 11′ 6″
Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.
- Includes a pump, 3 piece paddle and a backpack with a strap.
- It uses a replaceable fin.
- The newly enhanced valve can secure the airtightly while you are using the paddleboard.
- Includes an extra layer of material, making it durable and rigid.
- The specialized layer of foam on the surface can prevent you from slipping while standing on the board.
- This is a longer board, which means that it is not a good choice for shorter riders or those who have not paddled before.
Beginners Guide for Stand Up Paddle Boarding
If you already have some experience in surfing then you have an edge when it comes to stand-up paddleboarding. Mostly, it’s all about balance. If you have a strong foundation of yoga or any related exercises then most likely you can expeditiously become proficient in SUP. If you’re not, then you’d be glad to know that the learning process won’t really take that long. The good news is you are allowed to paddle while sitting or while you are on your knees until such time that you are already comfortable in standing.
First, you need to examine the things that you need before doing SUP in the water for the very first time. Obviously, the most relevant gear that you must have is a SUP paddle. You should not replace it with a kayak or canoe paddle since they are created diversely. It is advisable to secure an 8 to 10 inches SUP paddle for excellent results. When purchasing, always contemplate on the specs since some will float while others don’t. It is crucial to keep in mind that when you are in deep water, your paddle must not sink to the bottom.
Wearing a personal flotation device may not make you look cool, however, it can keep you safe. Undoubtedly, not all paddlers are wearing a SUP life jacket, but don’t you want to be protected just in case some unfavorable things will happen? If you’re paddling in flat water then this might not be necessary, nonetheless, an SUP leash is. In case you stumble in the water then a leash can help you in preventing your board from getting away. This is indispensable gear for those who are surfing with their paddleboard. There are other items that are not compelling but you may desire to purchase them such as a traction pad, a carry bag or a roof rack, a seat and others.
How to use a Stand Up Paddleboard
Aside from choosing between a solid and an inflatable stand up paddleboard, you should also determine how you are planning to use it. These boards are enhanced for specific needs. Although there are some which are adaptable and can be used for diverse water conditions.
Flat or All-Around Paddle Board
If you want more stability then this is the best choice. This stand-up paddleboard is great for beginners. However, it is also an excellent board for fishing or paddling in flat water. The finest choice would be a SUP with a width between 30″ and 34″ for ultimate stability. This can give you more room for balancing. The length should be between 10′ and 11′ since it provides you excellent maneuverability when paddling in flat water.
Touring or Racing Paddle Board
This is a terrific board for getting the most speed. Generally, it is pretty long but not as broad as the flat paddleboard so that it can maneuver faster. This type of board is also thicker compared to the others. Most likely, this is not fitting for a beginner but a superb choice for experts who want more speed.
Yoga Paddle Board
An all-around paddleboard can also be used for your yoga moves. Nonetheless, it is much better to pick a board that is specifically designed for your yoga activities. Ideally, this board is broad enough for your yoga poses. It also has a superior grip to prevent you from slipping off the board. This board won’t hurt your knees or legs while doing your yoga. Evidently, it is better to choose an inflatable paddleboard than a solid board because it has a soft surface. Your yoga paddleboard can also be used for flat water paddling which gives you more value for your money.
Surfing Paddle Board
If you are planning to ride your board on big waves then you must shop for a surfing paddleboard. Preferably, this is shorter so that it can maneuver exceptionally in the surf. A typical length would be below 10 feet to help you in remaining upright while riding the waves.
If you’re ready to begin shopping for a paddleboard then check out these reviews so that you can get the best value for your money. Here we will provide you with the hottest paddleboards.
Getting started with SUPping
A paddleboard is great for exploring the wonderful nature, however, if you want to explore underwater then you need a full face snorkel mask. If you are a water-sports enthusiast like Kai Lenny then you should try the stand-up paddleboard. If you can’t handle a paddleboard then why not try a kayak.
Welcome to the Active Thrills community! We, Nash and I, are the owners and authors of this special platform. We are so thrilled to say that this is definitely running actively to continue sharing all information and knowledge that we have about skateboarding, extreme sports, and gadgets in order to reach more and more people all over the world.